You are viewing this site in staging mode. Click in this bar to return to normal site.


The church can provide the perfect place for you to celebrate your wedding day, connect you to the people and places that are important to you, and provide the spiritual and emotional support you need at this important moment in your lives. We are pleased to offer wedding services to anyone who lives in Haverhill or Withersfield, or who has a connection to the parishes.

Use the form below or contact us directly to discuss your ceremony, or ask your wedding planner to if you are using one. You might also like to have a look at Your Church Wedding, which has more helpful information about getting married in church.

We can also offer a blessing for marriages which have taken place elsewhere, such as in a registry office, or a ceremony for the renewal of marriage vows.


Do I have to live in Haverhill or Withersfield to have a church service?
It is a legal requirement that one of you has to have a 'qualifying connection' to the parishes in order to have a service in one of our churches. This could mean that you live here, or that you used to live here, or that you have another family connection. There is a list of possible connections available in the contact form above. Speak to us if you do not currently live in either Haverhill or Withersfield and are unsure whether you have a qualifying connection. If you do live in either Haverhill or Withersfield or have a connection, you can choose which of the two churches to use for your ceremony.

In a registry office or secular venue, I have to 'give notice'. Do I have to do the same in church?
The way that we 'give notice' in church is to read the names of the couple out at the main service on a Sunday for three Sundays in a row, known as 'calling banns'. You may wish to attend church to hear your banns being called, although there is no requirement to. There may be a reason why we cannot call banns, for example if one of you is not a British national or lives overseas, in which case we can arrange for a licence for you.

If you are getting married elsewhere but one of you lives in Haverhill or Withersfield, you also need your banns read with us. You can notify us of this separately.

Can I use non-religious music, readings etc. in a church service?
Yes, you can choose music and readings that are meaningful for you, which may include non-religious music, especially at key moments in the service such as the entry and exit, and the signing of the marriage document. Any choices should be appropriate for use in a religious setting, but speak to us if you are unsure. There are certain elements which are essential to a service in church, including the blessing of the marriage, and we would usually expect to use a reading from the bible such as 1 Corinthians 13.

Can I write my own vows?
At a church service, the couple must make the vows in a pre-written form. The usual form of the vows is the same for the man and the woman, although there is the option for the woman to vow to 'obey' as in the older, traditional form of the service. Once you have made these vows, you could then additionally make promises to one another using your own words.

We are not regular churchgoers. Can we still have a service in church?
Yes, everyone is entitled to a wedding in church, whether or not you are a regular churchgoer.

What additional services can you provide?
Every wedding in church will include a minister, who will expect to meet or talk with you a few times beforehand, and a verger who will be present on the day to ensure that everything runs smoothly. We can also provide an organist, and may be able to provide a choir and bellringers. At Haverhill, we are also able to display a picture or slideshow of photographs, and can livestream the service. We have our own team of flower arrangers who can provide decorations, or you can bring your own.

I am divorced. Can I have a church wedding?
Yes, if you are divorced you can have a church wedding. We understand that sometimes things go wrong, and the church can help you to move on from a difficult past or look ahead to a new future. The minister taking the service will want to understand a little bit about your previous relationship and will need to see the decree absolute, and will then help you to decide if a church wedding is right for you.